Day 4 – Woolverstone to Woodbridge
Very early in the morning, just before the sunrise we were up and making a breakfast.
Our destination – Woodbridge, around 20Nm but entrance to river Deben is tricky and also there is very short window to get in to the Woodbridge marina.
Continue reading East Coast Cruise – the remaining bits
Day 2 – Queenborugh to Brightlingsea
Relatively early in the morning most of us were up and making tea, having breakfasts and getting ready for the next passage. This time across the estuary to Brightlingsea.
The weather improved with light wind and lots of sun all day long, so good sailing through estuary shallows. One of the challenges of the day was crossing the Wallet Spitway and than entering Brightlingsea marina. It was very little water when we arrived and while waiting for the berth we were swept a bit by the tide and touched the ground, just few meters from the pontoon. Nothing serious but it showed how narrow and shallow the channel is there.
Few minutes later we were moored or rather rafted to another boat. Time for dinner.
To get a shore we could use our tender but looking at the speed of the tide we took a water taxi. It is £1 per few meters ride, well few boat’s lengths and its really close but very convenient.
We went to an Indian Restaurant and had a good curry with couple of beers. On the way back, quick shower in the Yacht Club, than taxi to the pontoon.
It was fairly early yet, so I had nice conversation with other members of our group before heading to our Galion.
Tomorrow our destination is Woolverstone Marina.
Continue reading East Coast Cruise Our Sailing Holiday
It is almost 2 years when I and my friend began work on Galion 22 named Courage 1. Actually, the first stage was completed last year in July and boat was on the water there after.
We did some sailing and this allowed me to discover issues not recognised earlier, so boat was pulled out for further repairs and improvements and back on the water, however there were still things we thought could be done later. So, last April I lifted it out of the water because of damages done to her on the moorings and this also was a good moment for further improvements.
As the Courage 1 is now ready to launch again, I came to the point where I would like to share my experiences on this project. This is why I started this website where I step-by-step will show you all that have been done, well most of it. Some of those works were inboard engine installation, engine box build, running rigging refit, mast and boom refit, paint work and map table build.
I hope this will help many other sailors on similar projects.